Sunday, November 2, 2014

My Writing Process: Rough Draft


The second step in my writing process is when I turn my brainstormed thoughts into a first draft. This is when I take my ideas on paper and begin typing them into a word document. I start by looking at my bulleted ideas and decide which ones I want to have towards the beginning of. I type those points into the document in phrase or short sentence form and begin working with and expanding the ideas. While I was writing a paper on realistic fiction, I selected the points that included definitions and other basic info about the genre. I typically do not even attempt to create an opening sentence because I believe it works better to save the introduction for last, after I have expanded on all my ideas.
         For the remaining of the rough draft, I work on typing my bullet points in the order that I think I want to present them. Sometimes while I am expanding on an idea, I realize that it connects with another idea. In this case, I just copy and paste them to group them together in the document. I focus on expanding the ideas into sentences and grouping the sentences into paragraphs. This part is where it helps to have clustered the ideas in my brainstorming process. I try not to worry about spelling or grammar errors while creating my rough draft, although that squiggly line could be tempting. I just focus on continuing to move forward and develop my thoughts.
         There are times while I am writing a rough draft that I have difficulty coming up with the word or phrase that I want to use. This is when I decide its necessary to leave a blank and move on. As I was writing my rough draft about realistic fiction, I struggled to find the words to end the sentence, “Rather than other fiction that involves heroes with super powers, realistic fiction has characters that ________.” I knew I wanted to include that idea but I drew a blank when it came to actually finding the words. When I came back to this sentence in the next step, while I was revising, I was able to complete the sentence, as I wanted, with the words, “reflect normal human potentials.” Looking back at it, it can be difficult for me to move on without figuring out what I was attempting to write. I simply try to remind myself that writing does not always come out perfect from the start. Writing is a process.
Once I have expanded on the rest of my thoughts, I work on my introduction. I usually have a pretty good idea of what I want to include in the very beginning once I have worked on the rest of the draft. Depending on the situation, I may write a whole paragraph, or I might only be able to come up with one or two sentences. Either way, I try not to worry too much. As long as my bullet points are now in sentences, I consider it a rough draft. I like to take another break before moving on to the next step. I tend to get sluggish and less motivated if I spend too much time in one sitting on my writing. I also do not notice as many opportunities for editing and revising in my rough draft if I try to do both steps at once. 


2 comments:

  1. Brianna,
    I liked that you talked about writing being a process. I could not agree me! I found it interesting that if you cant think of a phrase or word, you leave a blank space. I do the same thing! I have never heard or seen anyone do that before. Your point bout using bullet points seems like it would be very helpful.. maybe next time I write an essay I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brianna! First off I also always save my introduction for last as well! I think it is easier to do that because I personally feel the thesis is sometimes hard to create. Once I have a paper full of different topics and ideas I can usually then come up with a good introduction and thesis statement. I find it really interesting how you leave blanks in your writing when you can't think of sentence to add in that specific area. It actually makes me want to start doing that because there are moments in my writing process when I am stuck somewhere and I cannot come up with something to put there and I sit there and think for a while. I sometimes get so frustrated and by doing what you do will make my life easier. I will just go back to it when I am ready and have something to write. Thank you for giving me another way to help me better my writing process!

    ReplyDelete