On
October 6th, the book club I am participating in met for the first
of four times. We are all reading the novel titled Mockingbird by
Kathryn Erskine and made a plan to read up to chapter 10 before this meeting. I
was looking forward to meeting with this group, especially because of how much
I enjoyed the book and wanted to continue reading. As soon as the group got
together, we all agreed that it was a very interesting story and an easy-read. We
discussed the main character Caitlin, who is a fourteen-year-old girl with
asperger’s, an autism spectrum disorder. I mentioned to the group that I did
not realize the extent of anxiety that people with asperger’s experience every
day. Since this book is written from the perspective of Caitlin, it is clear
how difficult many situations can be for a person with asperger’s, especially
if a tragedy occurs.
Next, one member of the group brought up how surprised she was
of all that happened to this poor girl, and how it took some time while reading
to find out what exactly happened. Caitlin’s brother Devon, was one of three
people that was killed in a school shooting. This type of event is difficult
for any person to handle. During the first ten chapters, Caitlin has a hard
time processing what happened to her brother. Someone in the group mentioned
that Caitlin can tell her father has been upset lately by the way he does not
want to talk about Devon and the crying noises she hears when he is in the
shower. It’s interesting how reading emotions is a weakness for people on the autism
spectrum and it’s something most people take for granted. The concept of
“stuffed animaling”, which Caitlin describes as staring at something until it
becomes blurry, is spoken of in the group discussion. It makes it easier for
Caitlin to look at because it becomes “fuzzy”. Straining her eyes to un-focus
her vision seems to be a coping mechanism for Caitlin.
To
wrap up our discussion, the group agreed to read up to chapter 20 before our
next meeting in a few days. So far I do enjoy this experience. The book is especially
interesting to me and I like to have the chance to talk about it with my peers.
I feel it is more effective than simply answering response questions. I enjoy the
freedom that goes along with a book club and that we all can bring up anything
we want to regarding the novel. In all, I am truly looking forward to reading
the next section and meeting up with the group again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment