Thursday, December 11, 2014

Letter to my Inspiration

Dear Mr. Snyder,
         Too often people are not given the gratitude that they deserve for the work they have done. As a future special education teacher, I have been thinking often about what has lead me to my decisions in my future. It has come to my attention that there is one really vital person that affected my choice to become a teacher. This person is you.
         We were first introduced shortly after I moved to a new school district and began seventh grade at Amity Junior High School. I was told that you were going to help me catch up, since there was a large gap of material that I was missing. Little did I know, you were going to be the best teacher I have ever had the privilege to meet. It means a lot to me that you were very careful in making sure that you did not make it obvious of the real problem. The truth is, you are a special education teacher, and I was really put into a special education program because I was more than three grade levels behind where I was supposed to be. You were sure not to let me find out about this.
         Moving to a new school was very difficult. I remember saying to my parents that I would rather die than have to start over in a new school with new friends and teachers. I was at a really tough place in my life when we met. You were so nice and understanding to every student you worked with. You taught me skills like using a planner and setting up notes, which I still use in college today. My confidence was raised as you showed me that I can achieve the small goals that you would make with me. In the past, teachers have given up on teaching me. Instead, you picked me up and helped me every step of the way to catching up to my classmates. After two full years, I was at the level that I was supposed to be.
         When I moved up to Amity Junior High, school was the least of my priorities. I always thought of school as a joke and something that I will never be able to benefit from. When you became my teacher, you would not allow that attitude. You taught me to take learning seriously and to actually use it for my benefit, not simply ignore it. Without learning this mindset, I would have never gone past high school. Here I am now, on my way to graduating both high school and college with honors.
         I cannot even imagine how my life would be if I did not have you as a teacher in seventh grade. The school system was able to assess me and place me into special education because they did not have any other options. Part of me is thankful that I was in an inner city school district for the first several years of education. Otherwise, you would have never been able to teach me the daily skills or boost my confidence as much as you did.
         When trying to decide a major, I was sure to think of all my choices. There was no doubt in my mind that I want to have a career helping people. Special education may be challenging for others, however, I believe it is worth it to help other students like you helped me. My goal in life is to be half as good of a teacher to others that you were to me. I dedicate my future career as a special education teacher to you, Mr. Snyder, my inspiration. Thank you for everything.
                       Sincerely,                                   
                                      Brianna Eisensmith

1 comment:

  1. Brianna,

    This was beautiful. I really like how you chose to write this post in the form of a letter, rather than just a description. It seems like Mr. Snyder was a really great guy who is ultimately responsible for placing you on the right path in terms of education. I'm sure you'll make a great special education teacher, especially since you had Mr. Synder as an example. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete