Friday, October 31, 2014

My Writing Process: Brainstorming

Whenever I write, I have found that I always need to write down all my thoughts and ideas before actually forming complete sentences. Although I am not exactly sure why this process is not called brain-spilling, rather than brainstorming, I am certain that it is essential for crafting an effective piece of writing. I like to sit down with a pen and a piece of paper with a heading of topic that I am looking to write about. I make a bulleted list of various words or phrases that I may want to include in my writing, in addition to any ideas that even relates to the topic.
As I was brainstorming for a paper about the realistic fiction, I frequently thought of books that I have read that are considered to be part of that genre. Naturally, I wrote the titles of these books on my brainstorming list. When it came time to write up my first draft, I decided it would be a good idea to include a few of these books in my paper to supply a few examples with summaries of books written in the realistic fiction genre. This is not a thought I had when I originally listed the titles while brainstorming, but it turned out to fit well in the rough draft. Quite often I find that the ideas that I believe I will not include in the writing but decide write down anyways end up becoming a special feature in my piece.
Once I have spilled out my ideas on paper, I frequently attempt to cluster them into common themes or categories. Depending on my mood, sometimes I will simply draw lines to connect the ideas, and other times I use different color highlighters to identify similar or related thoughts. Either way, my brainstorming list becomes a bit more organized when I web the ideas together. I prefer to cluster my thoughts right after I think my list is complete because I have found that I am better able to remember what I was thinking when I wrote what I did. 


Now that the brainstorming and clustering of the ideas is complete, this is where I like to take a break. I feel my best work is written when I give myself time in between the main steps of the writing process. If I do not have much time to wait before I must begin drafting, I give myself a break of at least ten minutes before I begin constructing my rough draft. The last thing a writer should do is rush the process; of course, unless procrastination won the battle!

2 comments:

  1. Brianna,

    I think brainstorming and pre-planning is a great step before writing. I normally put my writing off until the very last minute, so I don't have time to do this step. Taking breaks is also very important. You perform better when you give your mind a rest for a little bit. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brianna,
    I find myself really relating to your response. I write down all my thoughts and ideas that come to me then I begin the writing process of the rough draft. I agree that this is the best way to do it because then your ideas are not all clustered and all over the place. Planning is really important in the writing process. Your part about taking a break is also key! Letting your mind rest and gather complete thoughts is so important!

    ReplyDelete