The
next step of my writing process involves the editing and revising of my piece.
I always print out my writing at this point because I have found it is much
easier on my eyes to read it as a hard copy. I take this time to try to determine
if the reader will be able to understand what I am trying to say and then alter
what I find necessary. I like to make corrections on my hard copy with a
colored pen so I know what to make changes to. I first read through the draft
and look for any spelling or grammar issues that need to be fixed. I often have
to situate my punctuation at this point in the writing process as well. I try
to make sure that the reader will understand what I am trying to say as much as
possible.
During
this period of revision, I also look at the organization and tone of my
writing. It helps to read the writing out loud to really hear how the words
sound together. I always make sure that my ideas transition well and have a
flow to them. This becomes a focus most often when I spend less time in the
last few steps because it’s likely that I did not take much time to expand my
bullet points. I really attempt to make sure my main ideas and thesis are
organized
Finally,
I take this time to make sure all of my claims in my writing are supported. This
could mean incorporating an outside source with a reference or simply expanding
upon my claims to better support my ideas. I often refer back to any research I
have done to be sure I not only cited it correctly, but also make sure there is
no evidence of plagiarism. It’s good to be sure that my ideas are truly mine,
if they are not cited properly. Overall, this step in my writing process is
important because even if my ideas are on paper, it is also important that my
writing is presented clearly and organized without spelling and grammar errors. Before I move onto the next portion of my writing process, I try to take another break before actually finalizing the piece.

No comments:
Post a Comment