Throughout my childhood and adolescence, reading was never an activity
that I would voluntarily take part in. In fact, I would avoid having to read in
any way possible, like by taking trips to the bathroom and nurse’s office at any sign of a reading activity. I believe this is mostly due to several
decoding and comprehension deficiencies that weren’t addressed until I was at the end of fourth grade. Whether it was with “Hooked on Phonics” at home or the multiple
reading interventions that I was placed in at school, I felt my time reading
was not only boring, but also stressful. I truly struggled to find enjoyment in
reading. I can remember many teachers that I have had telling me how important
it is for me to read every day so I can catch up to my classmates. Looking
back, I feel I never thought I could possibly read the books at my grade level.
Thankfully, things changed in high school. Although I may not have
miraculously found a passion for reading at this time, I felt much more
confident in my reading abilities. One of my close friends introduced me to the
hobby of reading, which I didn’t see myself ever preferring over television,
but it didn’t seem as boring as I thought it would. Even though I often
observed my mom reading in her free time, it wasn’t until I met this friend
where I could imagine myself enjoying reading as well. She let me borrow her
books by Sarah Dessen and the Twilight Series, which eventually sparked my
interest in reading and opened up a while new world for me.
In the past four and a half years since graduating high school, I have
spent more time reading than ever before. I have encountered authors like
Nicolas Sparks, Theresa Rizzo, and John Green in which I have read a majority
of their books. A few years back, I asked for a Kindle for my birthday, which
has encouraged me to read even more. I love that I can just tap on the screen
to turn the page and when I finish reading a book, a list of similar books are
offered for me to choose from. I also love the convenience of reading on the Kindle. Although I do try to read books for fun in my
free time, it unfortunately doesn’t happen often unless it’s during school
breaks. By the time my readings for classes are done, I am usually not left
with time to read for pleasure. It’s safe to say that much of my time reading
for fun is typically in January and the summer months.
When it comes to reading for college courses, I almost always actually
read assigned readings, rather then just skim though or ignore them, which I resorted
to in high school. I am able to read much faster since I began reading more
often, which makes a big difference in my attitude towards assigned
reading. I also comprehend much
more than before because I have learned to aim my focus on the reading, rather
than let my mind wander while staring at words on a page.
Overall, I like to read mostly books that are realistic fiction or those
based off a true story. Since getting into my majors and minors, I have read
much more regarding those topics. My special education classes inspired me to
pick up more books about people with disabilities. My Sociology minor
concentrating in criminal justice has led me to read more books in the True
Crime category. Unlike in the past, I can find entertainment and relaxation in
reading, which is something I never thought would happen. I am grateful that I
was able to overcome my struggles and lose the negative outlook on reading. I
hope to share my joy for reading and promote reading outside of the classroom
with my future students. 

I am very happy that you have overcome your reading struggles. I think from your experiences with reading, you can truly inspire many of your future students. I find that I mainly read for myself more during winter break and in the summer months. I think the kindle is a great tool to motivate someone to read. I have read many more books with having the kindle but I have to say, I do prefer the old-fashioned book in my hands. I have always enjoyed the smell of a new book. In what ways would you help a student who gets up to go to the nurse or bathroom to avoid reading?
ReplyDeleteHello Brianna, I am glad that you finally enjoy to read even though it took some time and I am glad that you overcame your struggles with reading when you were a kid. I can relate to you in a lot of ways when it comes to reading. I usually read more in the summer because during the semester I usually have so much reading to do for my classes that I am just tired with reading and don't want to read anymore and also sometimes I just do not have time to read due to the amount of reading I am assigned for my classes. I like how you wrote about reading for you basically throughout your whole life from when you were a child to now in college.
ReplyDelete