The last step of my writing process is
very important because it is the last time I work on my writing piece before I
submit it online or hand it in. I typically re-read the entire thing out loud to
be absolutely certain that I caught all spelling and grammar mistakes. This is
also a great opportunity to improve the words that are used. At this time, I
look for opportunities to strengthen vocabulary and avoid repetition. Sometimes
I find myself using the same few words to express similar ideas. This is when I
take the time to look up those words in a thesaurus. For example, when writing
a behavior analysis for one of my special education classes, I kept using the
words “uses degrading language” to explain a reoccurring behavior of a student
that I observed. When it came time to finalize the report, I altered the words
I wrote from “uses degrading language” to “verbalized self-deprecating
thoughts”, “belittling herself”, “undervaluing” and “negative
self-characterization.” This type of change in language helped to create a much
stronger behavioral analysis than when it was very repetitive. I believe the
words that are used to present an idea are just as important as the idea
itself.
Once
I have strengthened my language, I often think about my audience, where it will
be going, and at times, refer back to an assigned rubric. Depending on these
factors, I may have to alter the document to fit the audience. This may mean I
have to make sure I’m using the proper citation format, include a footer or
page numbers, or change the font type or size. For my behavioral analysis, I
was sure to change my font to the teacher’s specific requirement. If there is
not a listed font on the assignment or syllabus, or the writing is not for
school, I typically set my font at "Verdana" size 11 because I feel it is most
pleasing to the eye. Also, with hard copy assignments, sometimes I may add a
footer in the document including my last name just in case documents get lost.
Once I am satisfied with my finalized piece, the writing process is complete.
Although this may seem tedious to some, I have found that my writing is strongest
when I have spend time on brainstorming, expanding, editing, revising, and
finalizing and I am more confident with my work in the long run.


I also described my writing process, and have commented on another peers blog that did the same...but what I notice is that all our writing processes are different. Its very interesting to read other peoples because its gives me new ideas, like reading yours gave me the idea to read the paper OUTLOUD, I never do that.
ReplyDeleteI also liked how you used specific examples of work you have done and what you learned from that.
I agree with Katyln. When you create a community of writers in your classroom everyone becomes the teacher. Colearning is critical in the reading classroom.
ReplyDeleteI could learn from Brianna's lessons. I always miss a few spelling and grammar issues. Maybe I will have better luck reading out loud.
You will have these posts to share with your students at a much later date. I hope you remember how successful it is to have students share reflections about the writing process.